Saturday, September 22, 2007

An underrated space opera - Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Reviews

At first I was going to split this review into two parts; one containing my review about the actual film, and the other addressing the ever-constant criticism directed at the movie. But I decided not to address the bashing of the movie; I thought it would sound too much like a whinny Star Wars fan trying to protect his idolizations. But I would like to show you my favorite, and most ridiculous, TPM-basher quote: "George Lucas raped my childhood [by making this movie]." And with that, I will begin my review: The Phantom Menace is not the best Star Wars movie ever made (Attack of the Clones, or The Empire Strikes Back is, depending on who you ask), that's for sure, but it's still a very good installment to the soon to be completed Star Wars Saga. In this episode, or as Mr. Lucas likes to call his Star Wars films, Opening Act we are introduced to a whole Galaxy; A once noble, but now corrupt, government; a wise, and powerful religious sect; and, or a more personal level, the character in which the Saga centers around. The plot of the film is the most in-depth of the Saga, featuring aspects of politics, religion, and, of course, the battle for good over evil. It covers more then any of the other films, but still retains a 'personal' aspect that connects you to each individual. But, sadly, there is no Han Solo-type character to give off a bit of roguishness. Lucas tries to have Gui-Gon, and sometimes Obi-Wan, take Han's place, but it never quite works. I mean, come on, Han Solo is a smuggler, always running from the law. Qui-Gon is the law! But I'm not saying there should have been a Han Solo look-a-like in the movie; I'm just saying he's missed. Other then that need for a Han, the rest of the characters fit the film wonderfully, with Ewan McGregor portraying an amazing likeness of a very young Alec Guinness, and Liam Neeson etching himself a notch in Star Wars culture with his performance of the wise, but roguish (not quite Han-roguish, though J) Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn. A character I liked more as the older Jedi Master figure, then the original Alec Guinness/Obi-Wan Jedi. And for the last three main characters; Anakin, Padme, and of course, Jar-Jar, I will give a short rundown: Anakin - Leaves most long-time fans thinking: He's no Luke. But, still Anakin is a very good character that will show you the good in him, that you may not see so predominately in the next two episodes. And even though Jake Lloyd's acting in the movie has been criticized (what hasn't been criticized in this movie?), I personally think he was as good as any other nine-year-old would be portraying the young Anakin Skywalker. Padme - What can you say about Padme, the mother of two of the main heroes of the originals. Natalie Portman does a fine job of playing the young queen, much better then her performance in the next episode. Jar-Jar - This poor little creature that has been bashed more then any other Star Wars character in history (including the Ewoks) never really bothered me that much, I mean he's no Chewie, but still is a ok/fair character that does his intended job in this film. For the older (I mean long-time fans, not particularly older in age fans), die-hard Star Wars fans this whole movie comes down to one thing; comparing all the new characters with the old ones, and, of course, the old ones will always win. Most of those fans will still enjoy the movie; even though it will never equal the originals. But for the newer fans, their appraisal of the film could differ immensely. Basically, my final assessment of the film is as follows: if you're a newer fan, I definitely, recommend this movie. If you're a long-time fan, I still recommend it, though with the warning: "Don't expect it to be better then the first three." And if you've never really been a fan, your opinion could be either that TPM was OK, but it still doesn't change your view of the Saga. Or it could make you a fan of all the movies. So overall, I would say this is a four star film, that's worth seeing at least once.

No comments: